You can use a Senseware Modbus Bridge to connect to the eGauge Pro and Core meters with the eGauge RS485-USB Converter. The Senseware Node and Modbus Bridge can be powered by the local USB port on the eGauge meter.
Each eGauge Meter requires pre-installation configuration in the eGauge Platform based on electrical schedules and Modbus channels to be pulled into the Senseware System. There is a 64 Register limit on the eGauge meters, and if you reach the limit, the Senseware platform can accommodate a cloud computation via the Meters App.
How to configure the eGauge Meter:
- Connect the eGauge RS485-USB Converter to an available USB port on the eGauge meter.
- Connect and power the Node and Modbus Bridge to the other available USB port on the eGauge meter.
- Wire the Modbus Bridge to the eGauge RS485 Converter.
- Power and connect the eGauge meter to a router (for internet connection) or directly to your computer via the Ethernet port.
- Once connected, find and navigate to the meter's Installation Menu in the eGauge platform.
- Select and configure the CTs according to installation schedules .
- Configure the registers. We recommend contacting the eGauge Technical Support if you have any questions configuring your registers.
- Configure the Modbus Server Menu:
- Check ‘Enable Modbus RTU Server’
- Select the USB port (1 or 2) that the RS485 convertor is connected to
- Use the default settings
- Click ‘Save’
9. Export Modbus Map – This contains the register numbers for the configured
registers in the Installation Menu. Keep the Modbus Map on file to reference
while configuring registers in the Senseware dashboard.
How to set the Senseware Module Configurations to read the eGauge meter registers:
- Use the following Senseware Module Configuration - Modbus Configuration:
- Change Endianness to ‘Big Endian’
- For each Read Operation: Operation 4
Types of Registers:
- U32 = Unsigned 32-Bit Register
- F32 = Float 32-Bit Register
- S64 = Signed 64-Bit Register *Not currently supported
How to input eGauge Registers:
- Use the Modbus Map and take the last 4 digits of each address you are looking to pull into the Senseware platform
i.e. Address 40500 = Senseware Modbus Register 500
- Rename and define the register based on the register range and register type and conversion functions
See examples below and for more information see our Modbus Configuration Help Article
- Click 'Save'
Unsigned 32-Bit Register:
Float 32-Bit Register: